Friday, April 30, 2010

Cry baby cry !

Vidaai, if you are not from India let me explain, Vidaai is the post marriage ceremony when the bride's family and friends bid her a teary farewell, and I mean a really teary farewell.

I am from a family where girls cry it out so hard that they even faint … I am not sure if they plan it that way to get an excuse to fall on their newly wed hubbys’ arms or they actually plan to stay back some more at Mom’s but whatever it is I have seen girls fainting on this Vidaai ceremony. And being one ladalee badi beti from this family my relatives had a lot of expectations from my Vidaai, it was supposed to be one grand Vidaai where everybody was supposed to cry … guess everybody except me!

I and my tear ducts, we have some kind of differences, my tear ducts never ever open up when me or somebody else expects to see it opening, my tear duct follows its own secretive rules which nobody but God or my tear duct only knows. It is not controlled by my brains or my heart … I swear, that’s the only organ of my body which is so truly autonomous. People around me cry buckets and my tear ducts declares a draught, I have that kind of non submissive tear ducts.

During my Vidaai I just kept the veil very low so that people around me assumed that I am crying inside and they accompanied me in that difficult situation. Everybody said nice things to me and everybody consoled me saying that it’s gonna be the same or may be even better and I need not worry, I just listened to them quietly with a wicked grin inside and pretended to dry my already dried out eyes with the tissues that my sis gave me, I was actually about to shed a drop of tear when my Mom came in to the scene from somewhere saying no cries, you will drop off your lenses, I don’t know how she kept following my eyes even from inside my veil, but she was there right when required … Mom … awww Mom I miss you. Mom was crying too and seeing her and listening to her only advice of taking care of my lenses made me cry a little and laugh some more … my sisters … stupid real sisters were both giggling, so even they did not helped me in my “shed some tear project”. And the car started rolling … I prayed thank God, thanks for protecting me from this embarrassment.

I know all the girls out there are condemning me, but what can I do, I am just narrating you the things right from my heart, you can not hate me for not crying, but if you do already here’s one more reason to hate me more, me and my friend S would laugh uncontrollably on mourning ceremonies of our school assembly, I do not know what made us laugh but we did, it was nothing related to the mourning ceremony and we truly sympathized and ask for forgiveness for this evil deed, but we could not control our laughs, I confess.

So back to my Vidaai ceremony, it was almost ending, the car started rolling and I felt as if I am missing something, what I did not know, so in the state of some kind of confusion we reached almost up to the gate of our marriage hall, and there I saw Papa standing alone and waving me a good bye with a smile on his face, I couldn’t see his eyes but I knew they were wet, and this time I needed no tantrums, my tear ducts opened up generously … and I saw my sisters from the rear view mirror, I knew they too were crying, though hiding from each other but they both were crying, I knew and I cried more … I cried … I did … but my only complain is NOBODY SAW ME CRYING, EXCEPT RA, WHO WAS NOT AT ALL SUPPOSED TO SEE ME CRY!

So this is how it is, why I remembered this episode is because my in-laws would be leaving soon and even they would expect me to cry when they leave and my tear ducts would again ditch me I know … can I just take a print out of this post and give them to read while bidding them adieu … may be they would forgive their no heart bahu!

No comments: